Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Long time no post...

It's been a while since my last post as nowt really worthwhile has happened, or at least nothing that seems worthwhile when I get round to sitting down and get ready to type. I've lost count of the number of times I've felt guilty for not posting, immediately thought of something to write and then forgotten all about it by the time I get round to actually writing it up in my diary. Ah well here goes...

A reasonably good weekend. I've fallen into the habit of taking Fridays off. I did last week and plan to do so again this week. Thursday nights are pretty good although the Flange Band doesn't seem to be pulling in quite the same size of crowd it once did, although what in Wolseys does these days? I don't know what the deal is but the bar is undergoing a real downturn at the moment. Hopefully once the refurbishment happens there will be a bit of a turnaround, as it really does need a kick up the arse at the minute. Everyone seems to have settled into a rut with little sign of anything happening to counteract the lethargy that consumes the place. Upstairs is in the middle of trying to sort out what they want to play, downstairs nobody seems to make a real effort (even Dodds is simply settling for things as opposed to forcing the issue). Not like him at all. Even the Pub Quiz flyer I mentioned below isn't even put out on the tables unless I'm there to remind them. That bit actually does piss me off a lot. When there is a general refusal to spend money on external advertising, to not even bother telling the people who do come in what is happening in the place is such a big missed opportunity. Not only that but it means I'm wasting my time even trying, and I hate it when anyone but myself wastes my time...

While on the subject of the bar there's another thing that's weird about me though. If I hear anyone criticizing Wolseys I feel obligated to defend it, and I generally take any unfair criticism of the place personally. Just another quirk of my personality.

Anyway I was going to type about what's happening before all that. So this week sees the return of Ryan from Paris where he's been working for about a year now. Of course the Thursday Night Club (A loose social gathering that started from me meeting up with an old school friend Glen for a social pint) was always a big thing for him coz there was a bunch of us who went from Wolseys to Fealtys and then back to Wolseys to see the end of the Flange Band. At one stage there was about 7 or 8 of us heading out every Thursday and he used to comment about how "this was how Manumission started!" Anyway, what with him moving away and the Flange Band moving to Friday nights for a while, it started to peter out mostly although me Glen and Jamie and usually someone else would end up out. Anyway, so Ryan's coming back and Gail, Simon the bar manager's sister and a very good friend is really looking forward to this coz she really liked Ryan (quite how much I'm not too sure if you know what I mean...). Of course it turns out that I have a quiz booked for this Thursday night. The only outside engagement I've had for months, and it turns out it clashes with the one Thursday night I really wanted to have off, if only to try and keep Gail from jumping on Ryan! What are the odds of that? So now I'm trying to get Magic Paul to cover for me if I write the quiz, providing he's not too busy with work, and I don't know how to phrase it to the people of CRUSE (the charity for whom I'm doing the quiz) without making it look like I'm dropping them in the shit for the sake of a few pints. Not that Paul wouldn't be capable of doing an excellent job...

So this is my life at the moment. The quiz sucks, I'm going to look like a complete git to someone this Thursday night, and I'm going to a dead bar to go through the motions again this weekend. A maelstrom of shit indeed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home